We are now officially on the first week of 2016. Well, even before this blog, I really enjoy reading and saving inspirational articles and thoughts to live by. Now that I have the chance, I’d like to share with you how we can jump start the year with a bright and positive mindset. Changes are definitely not easy but these guidelines might be helpful in achieving a sound mind. They are actually very easy to follow but because of our busy lifestyle, we tend to overlook them. Hope this helps. 🙂
- START noticing the beauty of small moments. Instead of waiting for the big things to happen — marriage, kids, big promotion, salary increase — find happiness in the small things that happen every day. Little things like having a quiet cup of coffee early in the morning, the pleasure of enjoying the things you enjoy doing and sharing it with others, having the chance to talk, laugh with loved ones. Noticing these small pleasures on a daily basis make a big difference in the quality of your life.
2. START accepting things when they are less than perfect. Remember, ‘perfect’ is the enemy of ‘good’. One of the biggest challenges for people who want to improve themselves and improve the world is learning to accept things as they are. Sometimes, it’s better to accept and appreciate the world as it is, and people as they are, rather than trying to make everything and everyone conform to an impossible ideal. No, you shouldn’t accept a life of mediocrity, but learn how to love and value things when they are less than perfect.
3. START working toward your goals every single day. Remember, the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Whatever it is you dream about, start taking small, logical steps every day to make it happen. Get out there and DO something! The world awaits. Take that leap!
4. START taking full responsibility accountability for your own life. Own your choices and mistakes, and be willing to take the necessary steps to improve upon them. Either you take full accountability for your life or someone else will. And when they do, you’ll become a slave to their ideas and dreams instead of a pioneer of your own. You are the only who can directly control the outcome of your life. And no, it won’t always be easy. Every person has a stack of obstacles in front of them. But you must take accountability for your situation and overcome these obstacles. Choosing not to is choosing a lifetime of mere existence
5. START being more open about how you feel. If you’re hurting, give yourself the necessary space and time to hurt, but be open about it. Talk to those who are closest to you. Tell them the truth about how you feel. Let them listen. The simple act of getting things off your chest and into the open is your first step toward feeling good again.
6. START being attentive to your stress level and take short breaks. Slow down. Breathe. Give yourself permission to pause, regroup and move forward with clarity and purpose.
7. START listening to your inner voice. If it helps, discuss your ideas with those closest to you, but give yourself enough room to follow your own intuition. BE true to yourself. Say what you need to say. Do what you know in your heart is right.
8. START forgiving yourself and others. We’ve all been hurt by out own decisions and by others. And while the pain of these experiences is normal, sometimes it lingers for too long. We relive the pain over and over and have a hard time letting go. Forgiveness is the remedy. It doesn’t mean you’re erasing the past, or forgetting what happened. It means you’re letting of the resentment and pain, and instead of choosing to learn from the incident and move on with your life.
9. START entering new relationships for the right reasons. Enter new relationships with dependable, honest people who reflect the person you are and the person you want to be. Choose friends you are proud to know, people you admire, who show you love and respect — people who reciprocate your kindness and commitment. And pay attention to what people do, because a person’s actions are much more important than their words or how others represent them.
10. START helping those around you. Care about people. Guide them if you know a better way. The more you help others, the more they will want to help you. Love and kindness begets love and kindness. And so on and so forth.
Happy 2016! Cheers to loving yourself better!